Blackened Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

frost mage rotation question

2 posters

Go down

frost mage rotation question Empty frost mage rotation question

Post  pantone Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:56 pm

So Sunday dinged 60 on my Frost Mage alt Wumpus. I have never really taken him seriously, it was always a side project. I did Ramparts and Blood Furnace. Wow, it was such a different perspective doing it as a mage instead of a tank. The tank was pretty unsure of himself, so I marked and explained the fights. Being a frost mage I love all the situation spells I can use to stop or slow down mobs. (Man, the 51 point talent really blows though, what a let down, its just a stun, thats it, something my pally learned at level 8, blah!)

Questions:
1. Do we have any other frost mages in our guild? Whats your shot rotation you use? Would love to hear your advice.
2. To benefit our guild for raiding, should I respec and learn Fire too? Is there a required spec?
3. Are there any class specific add ons anyone recommends?

Thanks in advance!
pantone
pantone

http://www.mightyfineinc.com

Back to top Go down

frost mage rotation question Empty Re: frost mage rotation question

Post  Fabled Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:59 pm

Well as my mage is only 54 at the moment I can't really speak from a 70 point of view but here it goes.

Fire/Frost/Arcane - It's personal preference imo. I have seen mages from each spec outdamage mages of the other spec if you are looking for max damage I think it's all about what you like to play and what you like to cast. Fire MAY bring some extra buffage but I am not sure if it works that way. I don't know if the scorch debuff works with other players fire spells.

Frost 51pt. talent - This is, from what I understand a complete waste for PvE. It may have its place in solo content but good if you can't solo shit without it then you have problems. I haven't looked to heavily into the other trees but I am sure you could find a better spot for that talent point.

Rotation - Sadly, I do believe the rotation is Frostbolt spam with the occasional instant cast no mana fireball from the Brainfreeze talent. If you don't have this talent, get it. It procs quite a bit and helps with mana conservation. Frostfire bolt may be in the mix but I honestly don't even know if you get this before 70 or if its not until the xpac. From what I understand its basically a frostbolt that puts a fire dot on the target or something like that. It might be one of those spells that you just use to have the dot up and that would be when you fire it into your rotation.

Not really a rotation - Frostbolt spam may be your rotation for the most part but you have to remember that you bring a lot of utility as well. Your rotation doesn't mean that is all you will be doing. You have your things to pop like Water Ele and Icy Veins and you have your polymorphs (if the instance calls for it), AoE if needed, counterspell and many spells to keep those mobs off the healers. In other words, your rotation may be boring but how often will you be sticking to a straight rotation?

Mods - The only thing outside your standard mods such as Omen and DBM would be a polymorph tracker. When in the heat of battle its easy to forget about your poly sitting 20 yards down the hallway.

Frost spec - In my opinion where to put points as I have been leveling frost has been pretty much a no brainer. Once again though, I am only 54. I have an idea of where I will put my points in the future but I can't think of all the talents off the top of my head. Just send me a tell in game and I will be happy to talk to you more about it all.

Fabled
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  pantone Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Thanks Fabled, this was a big help!
pantone
pantone

http://www.mightyfineinc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content